RE: Revision of IUCr policy statement on STAR/CIF

  • Subject: RE: Revision of IUCr policy statement on STAR/CIF
  • From: "Bollinger, John Clayton" <jobollin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:38:49 +0100 (BST)

Brian McMahon wrote:
> Your response to this draft is welcome. Please note that this
> has not yet
> been redrafted by professional lawyers, and some tinkering
> with the wording
> is almost inevitable before it is formally accepted. There
> are also some
> details to be completed regarding the canonical URLs for finding the
> specifications.
>
> What we would find most useful at this stage is some idea of
> whether such
> a statement would make it easier or more difficult for you to
> commission,
> write, redistribute and sell CIF software.

I see that all the language from the current policy statement regarding
noncommercial use and placing software in the public domain is missing
from this draft.  That certainly seems to be an advantage.  I see two
things missing, though: (1) something guaranteeing freedom to use the
format itself [akin to point 1 of the current policy] and (2) language
assuring that the policy will never be revised to be more restrictive.

Regards,

John Bollinger
Indiana University
Molecular Structure Center