RE: The CIF BNF

  • Subject: RE: The CIF BNF
  • From: "ROBIN SHIRLEY (USER)" <R.Shirley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:58:40 +0100 (BST)
I agree with the spirit of this contribution, since an 80-char line
limitation is rather arbitrary and indeed small to set in
concrete (compared, for example with 255-chars, which is another
possible contender).

On the other hand, I'm far from happy with it in practice.  To have
a definite line-length limit is in many respects a considerable
practical advantage.  If it were lifted, I hope that there would
remain a *strongly recommended* limit of 80 chars or some other
manageable number, to be exceeded only when strictly necessary.

Robin Shirley (now writing mainly in Pascal / Delphi / Fortran 90, so
not personally hit by such restrictions)