Re: Powder CIF Proposals

  • Subject: Re: Powder CIF Proposals
  • From: "ROBIN SHIRLEY (USER)" <R.Shirley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:48:50 +0100 (BST)
Apologies for these delayed responses to Nick's comments of 29 Sept:

1) 00-2-11.2) _pd_index_appendix

> > The sort of indexing history envisaged in my original proposal can
> > now be captured and updated automatically in the form of the
> > Crysfire logfile for that dataset - an example is attached.

> My main concern with these proposals is that I would like to see
> the dictionary definitions for these data items. Until then I
> accept that all of these proposed items are reasonable but I would
> like to know how I would parse their contents. For instance how
> will an indexed history be represented and parsed?

The intention is that this should essentially provide an opportunity
to record human-readable summary of the indexing history of the
current dataset.  Thus, even if a Crysfire logfile now forms a good
basis for this section, it should remain undefined free text,
between lines containing semi-colons in col 1.  e.g...

_pd_index_appendix
;
Any human- or program-generated text that summarises the indexing
history of this dataset.
;

2) _pd_index_merit

> > Thus this would become:
> >    _pd_index_merit M FOM program
> >
> >    (e.g. _pd_index_merit 21.7 M20 ITO12,
> >    or _pd_index_merit 54.215 M1 CRYS934h).

> This is syntactically incorrect, and it begs the question are
> these 3 components of one object (a list) or 3 separate objects?

Thanks for pointing out the incorrect syntax, which slipped in while
the concept was developing in response to people's suggestions.

My original intention was that this should simply be a piece of
quoted text:

e.g. _pd_index_merit 'M20 = 21.7 (ITO12)'

But in response to people's feedback this became elaborated into a
sequence of three separate items (which could be looped if
necessary):

  M (the numerical value)

  FOM (the generic type, left as quoted text)

  "program", or as I now prefer, "source" (another piece of quoted
  text, which for example summarises the program version or other
  source of the specific algorithm used)

e.g.

_pd_index_merit_M          21.7
_pd_index_merit_FOM        'M20'
_pd_index_merit_source     'ITO12'

The reason for leaving the FOM and source items as quoted text is
that I see no early prospect of standardising them, and have doubts
whether such a restriction would actually be desirable.

Some possible FOM terms are still rather fluid (especially the most
popular, M20, which was originally defined in a way that left to the
judgement of the implementor what was meant by an "indexed" line,
and has since been subject to various reinterpretations and
extensions). There are also newer FOM contenders (e.g. FN, M1, PM)
which outperform M20 for particular purposes.  Thus I'm not sure that
we are ready to try to compile a list of standardised FOM
definitions.  A way round this is to leave them as text.

This argument applies more strongly in the case of "source", which
could then be left open to whatever elaboration might seem helpful,
such as the addition of a reference or a URL.

> I also have a general comment concerning worries of the potential
> size of data files and looped items. I think many are increasingly
> coming around to the idea that it is important to retain
> "primitive" (read non-derivable) data as much as possible. If these
> trial cells are "relevant" to the discipline then there should be a
> mechanism for retaining such information.

I have no particular position on this issue, except to point out
that one should perhaps not rely too boldly on the increasing
storage capacity of modern computers, since such lists could easily
become very large, and in the case of indexing most of their bulk
would refer to low-probability hypotheses.

This is why I tend to favour keeping relatively concise summary logs
in a section such as_pd_index_appendix rather than retaining more
bulky looped lists.

Best wishes

Robin Shirley