Re: Parsing of comments in BNC definition

  • Subject: Re: Parsing of comments in BNC definition
  • From: James Hester <jrh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 04:34:57 GMT
Nick writes:

> One quick solution would be to change the production to;

> This needs to be checked in light of the other productions. I have had a
> quick look and think it is alright, but others should check the
> implications of the change thoroughly. One problem may be that this change
> causes another production to define a comment token as requiring 2xblanks
> or 2xterminates.
>
> Any thoughts?

The beginning of a file would have to have honorary 'terminate'
status, otherwise a hash as first character in the file wouldn't count
as a comment.

I imagine the StarBase program gobbles up as many characters as it can
to fit the current context; so, having seen a 'data_' keyword, it
grabs as many non-blank characters as are in the input stream.  This
seems like reasonable behaviour.

James.
James Hester, ANBF                             KEK
e-mail: jrh@anbf2.kek.jp                       Oho 1-1
Phone: +81 298 64 7959                         Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305
  Fax: +81 298 64 7967                         Japan