Re: CIF-DEVELOPERS digest 36

  • Subject: Re: CIF-DEVELOPERS digest 36
  • From: "Brian H. Toby" <Brian.Toby@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:36:17 +0100 (BST)
> However, I draw your attention to the fact that the current production for
> <Exponent> in the cifsyntax document generalises the Hall, Allen & Brown
> paragraph 5 to explicitly permit the following representations to be
> considered as valid:
>
>       -1.2345e1(2)
>       -1.2345E1(2)
>       -1.2345d1(2)
>       -1.2345D1(2)
>       -1.2345+1(2)
>       -1.2345e+1(2)  (etc)
>
> Again,
>    (a) is anyone currently using the 'd' or '+' forms;
>    (b) are there any strong views on this generalisation?

I am not sure that I like all this complexity in representations. Did
the original STAR paper define the -1.2345+1(2) format as valid?

I wonder how much of the existing CIF software will properly interpret a
value of +1.234e-002 or -1.234-002, lets say as an x-coordinate? At the
moment, mine will not. I can see now that I had better run a parse on
every CIF number before I try to use it as a numeric value.

Brian (T.)