RE: CIF line folding/reassembly protocol

  • Subject: RE: CIF line folding/reassembly protocol
  • From: "Herbert J. Bernstein" <yaya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:36:18 +0100 (BST)
Syd and Nick will have to say how John's interprestation relates to the
"original intent" of STAR.  It is certainly not consistent with the
original CIF software (CIFtbx), nor with the formal syntax document that
has now been discussed for over two years.  As long as we introduce the
backslash line-folding convention, and the changes to existing data sets
and software to conform to this change in the specification should be
tedious but manageable.  In many cases no change will be required,
since the software in question simply passes text fields through
unchanged.  Keeping the change manageable assumes that it is not John's
intention that a CIF parser would be required to somehow append a specific
character for end-of-line to each line of a text field.  Such a
requirement would be dfficult or impossible to achieve for CIFtbx and
other cross-platform Fortran CIF software packages.  There is no
cross-platform in-band end-of-line character in Fortran.  -- Herbert