Re: Revised draft of CIF 1.1 syntax document

  • Subject: Re: Revised draft of CIF 1.1 syntax document
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:35:02 +0100 (BST)
Following discussions with the Perth group, I have further revised the
specification document to reflect their explicit intention that
semicolon-delimited text values in CIFs should *not* be considered to include
the final newline. I apologise for the confusion.

In practice this will not affect syntax-based applications that pass an
input stream to an output stream without modification, since the syntax is
identical under either interpretation. Downstream applications must
therefore be designed explicitly to append a terminal newline to the value
that is being processed, if this is required for the proper processing of
the content of a multiline text field.

If approved by COMCIFS, this disambiguation will have the effect of
rendering the identical value "foo" of a string value presented in any of
the four forms
 foo
'foo'
"foo"
;foo
;

I shall now submit the current revision formally to COMCIFS for official
review. I am grateful to the contributors from this list who have taken the
time and trouble to review and criticise these recent drafts.

Regards