Re: Cif dictionary version numbers

In the world of software, versions can be rather arbitrary
strings, as in RasMol 2.6ab2.  However, I personally think life
is simpler if we structure the string, much as we structure a date
string, in a hierarchy, in this case with the top of the hierarchy
first, i.e. the major version, and work our way down.  For RasMol,
I have taken it as far as 5 levels, e.g., the very popular
RasMol 2.7.2.1.1.  For our dictionaries, three levels is
probably sufficient.  I don't think people have too much trouble
sorting dates, even when we do foolish thing such as mixing
keywords and numbers and using a funny ordering (e.g. mmm-dd-yyyy),
so I suspect that most people will be able to cope with the
relative ordering of, say, 3, 3.5, 3.5.7, 3.6, and 3.15.38.
I agree that it would be nice to have a tags for release status
with values such as alpha, beta and stable, but I am not sure
that is really a version tag.

Therefore, I would suggest that the tag _dictionary_version be
regressed from numb to char, with semantics specifying periods
as separators between components, with numeric components, and
hierarchical sort ordering.  This would correct both the
failure to allow a third level of versioning, and the problem
Dale points out of incorrect sort order between version 1.2
and 1.12

               Office:  +1-631-244-3035
            Lab (KSC 020): +1-631-244-3451