RE: Meaning of _category.mandatory_code

  • Subject: RE: Meaning of _category.mandatory_code
  • From: "Bollinger, John Clayton" <jobollin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:39:27 -0500

James,

I can't authoritatively interpret the _category.mandatory_code for you, but I can point you to http://www.crystal.uwa.edu.au/star/StarSpecs.pdf for a formal description of save frame semantics, including scoping.  I don't know whether it is specific enough to help, but it does say that the data in a save frame are "insulated from" those in the surrounding data block.  I also observe that neither CIF nor STAR defines a mechanism to reference save frame contents, though STAR does have a syntax for referencing an entire save frame as a data value (which, I'm sure you know, is specifically disallowed by CIF).

My take on all of this differs from yours.  In the absence of clearer semantic specifications, I have looked at save frames as self-contained data objects, independent of their data block except inasmuch as the block scopes their *names* and hence all references to them.  I may be reading too much into it, but I take the "insulation" bit in the STAR docs to mean that the inside of a save frame doesn't have a view of the surrounding data block at all.  When it comes to validation, then, I'll offer the possibility that you are misapplying the DDL rule: Vol G apparently requires a mandatory category to appear in a *data block* based on the relevant dictionary, but a save frame is not a data block, so this requirement is irrelevant to individual save frames.  It is unclear whether a data block that contains a mandatory item within a save frame thereby satisfies the mmcif requirement, but the intent seems to be that it should do.

After all that, I'm not sure whether I have addressed your core concern about whether _item_description and _category_description are appropriately defined.  My apologies if I have not.

Regards,

John

--

John C. Bollinger, Ph.D.