Draft agenda of closed COMCIFS meeting in Osaka

  • Subject: Draft agenda of closed COMCIFS meeting in Osaka
  • From: David Brown <idbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 11:46:27 -0400
Title:
Draft Agenda for closed meeting of COMCIFS at Osaka

N.B. Anyone with an interest in the items being discussed is welcome to attend these closed meetings.

Meeting times and place:
2008-08-25:1300  Room 804
2008-08-28:1300  Room 804

(The order in which these items will be discussed will be decided at the first meeting.)

1. Report of meeting with Executive Committee                          David Brown

2. Open Biomedical Ontologies Foundry                                  John Westbrook

    We are currently working with groups within the Open Biomedical Ontologies Foundry including the Protein Ontology, the RNA Ontology Consortium, and the Open Biomedical Investigations Ontology.  In previous discussions, I have described my concern that COMCIFS is not sufficiently focused on what is going on in this area.

3. Report on development in the Chester Office                          Brian McMahon

4. Report on the status of DDLm

4a. Technical review of the proposed DDLm                               James Hester

4b. Changes to the proposed DDLm resulting from the review
                                                  Nick Spadaccini

4c. Conversion of dictionaries                                          David Brown

4d. Discussion and resolution of the issues recently raised on the discussion list.

    1. Identifying dictionary conformance in a CIF - included dictionaries
        Virtual dictionaries can be assembled at the time of reading a CIF.  How should this be done?  Can a dictionary be embedded in the CIF?  What happens if cached local dictionaries get out of sync with the masters?

    2. Hierarchy of items in methods
        Should there be an hierarchy of items so that methods always generate items higher on the hierarchy than the those they use?  How do we avoid circular method definitions?  Can we ensure compatibility with specific object oriented languages (e.g., Java or jython or python)?

    3. Intermediate items generated during computation
        During computations using the methods intermediate items may be generated.  How can we avoid excessive duplication of information on output CIFs?  Should the items that form the official ontology be flagged?

5. Other business

begin:vcard
fn:I.David Brown
n:Brown;I.David
org:McMaster University;Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research
adr:;;King St. W;Hamilton;Ontario;L8S 4M1;Canada
email;internet:idbrown@mcmaster.ca
title:Professor Emeritus
tel;work:+905 525 9140 x 24710
tel;fax:+905 521 2773