Re: Draft JSON specification, round 2

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 7:25 PM, James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Bob,

I see it as a JSON object at the top level, in keeping with the lack of significance of datablock ordering in CIF.

We can't reserve a key at the top level unless we somehow distinguish block names (otherwise we can't distinguish between a data block called "metadata" and the actual "metadata" object). So if we were to prefix every block name with an underscore "_" then we could have informational top-level keys.  Does that sound reasonable?

I'm still not sure why you are keen to emphasise the CIF2 nature of the JSON - the concept is that this JSON handles all possible CIF data values. Any JSON parser will be happy with the syntax of the JSON, and any CIF application that plans to handle this JSON will be written in full knowledge of the existence of Unicode, list and array datavalues (because CIF2 already exists).  Any datanames that take CIF1 data types (ASCII, no tables, no arrays) should still be restricted to these datatypes in the JSON.

I'm trying to remember my argument. I think it mainly had to do with all the crazy character business in CIF that was cleaned up in CIF2.

That said, I think it is very sensible to have versioning information available in a metadata tag (as COD-JSON does). As it is so easy to add extra keys to datablocks (e.g. "uncertainties", "ordering", "might-be-a-number","original_text") no doubt there will arise useful additions amongst the user community that could be added in future updates.

How does this look:

"metadata":{"schema_name":"CIF-JSON",
            "version":"1.0",
            "schema_uri":"http://www.iucr.org/cif/cif-json/version_1.0.schema"}

where the "schema_uri" would point to a JSON schema that could be used to validate the JSON.

That's the sort of idea. I was also thing about

 "numberTreatment": "asString"
 "uncertaintyTreatment": null

or something like that.

I'm more into camelCase than xxx_yyy, but you can do what you prefer. These don't have to be lower case.

Come to think of it, all upper case keys could be non-cif keys since we specify all lower case for CIF keys. Are data names case sensitive? Thus, this could be

META_DATA

perhaps?