Re: [Cif2-encoding] A new(?) compromise position

Dear James,

   I know from long and painful experience that files with just a few
accented characters are very, very difficult to clearly identify, and can
look like valid UTF8 files.  UTF8 is _not_ self-identifying without the
BOM.

   The case that really convinced me that there was a problem was a
French document with a lower case e with an accent acute on the E.  I
nearly missed a  misencoding of a mac native file that because it was
being misread as a capital E in a UTF8 file showed the accent as grave.

   There are simply too many cases like that in which a file written in a
non-UTF8 encoding looks like something reasonable, but wrong, to say that
UTF without the BOM is self-identifying.

   As for the question of standards and applications, many programming
language standards specify the action of processors of the language.
In our case, to have a meaninful standard, we need to specify what
is a syntactically valid CIF2 file, to specify the semantics for
a compliant CIF2 reader and specify the required actions for
a compliant CIF2 writer.  We need to do so in a way that breaks
as few existing applications as possible.

   I believe that applications are highly relevant to what we are trying to
do.  In particular, I favor strict rules on writers and liberal rules
on readers, so that files get processed when possible, but tend to get
cleaned up when being processed.

   That same frame of mind is why a lot of text editors invisibly add
a BOM at the start of all UTF8 files, but try to accept UTF8 files
with or without the BOM.

   Regards,
     Herbert