voting membership

Membership of Comcifs for the triennium 1999-2002

     According to Comcifs' terms of reference, "Comcifs should
consist of about six voting members appointed by the Executive
Committee of the IUCr on the recommendation of Comcifs.
Membership would  normally be for a three year renewable term.  A
membership slate will be presented to the Executive Committee of
the IUCr for approval following each IUCr congress.  Voting
members will be knowledgeable in the area of electronic
manipulation of information and representative of the various
fields of crystallography".

     The current voting members of Comcifs are recommending to the
Executive Committee of the IUCr the following slate for the voting
membership of Comcifs for the triennium 1999-2002.

     I.David Brown (Chair)
     Brian McMahon (Secretary)
     *Helen M.Berman
     *Herb J.Bernstein
     Paul R.Edgington
     Sydney R.Hall
     Gotzon Madariaga

     This list contains the names of 5 current members who are
willing to continue.  Three of our current members have indicated
that they wish to retire from full membership of Comcifs and two
new members (marked *) are being proposed.  The slate meets the
stated requirements of the Comcifs voting membership and provides
important continuity while adding people with fresh ideas.

	The retiring members are Paula Fitzgerald, Brian Toby and Mark
Spackman and I wish to thank them for the very valuable contribution they
have made to the development of the CIF standard.  In particular,
Paula has led the team that produced the pioneering mmCIF dictionary and
Brian Toby has been largely responsible for the pdCIF dictionary.  We are
not loosing Brian entirely as he wishes to remain in charge of the
pdCIF DMG and so remain on Comcifs as an observer.

	I would also like to thank the continuing members for their
efforts in the past and I look forward to working with the new team in the
future.

			David

Dr.I.David Brown,  Professor Emeritus
Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research,
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Tel: 1-(905)-525-9140 ext 24710
Fax: 1-(905)-521-2773
idbrown@mcmaster.ca