OMG proposal for macromolecular structure

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <comcifs-l@iucr.org>
  • Subject: OMG proposal for macromolecular structure
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@iucr.org>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:07:34 +0100 (BST)
I am forwarding part of a message received from John Westbrook.
"CORBA" (the Common Object Request Broker Architecture) is a protocol
designed to facilitate the exchange of information between diverse data
repositories, and it is a standard promulgated by the Object Management
Group (OMG). Initiatives such as these are essential to promote
intercommunication between the many parties who wish to share information
through the WorldWide Web, federated databases and other metadata
exchange processes, and it is a substantial achievement to have defined the
content for a major subject area on the basis of a CIF dictionary. I
congratulate John on having got so far, and wish the project every success;
and I commend this work to COMCIFS as a whole.

Best wishes
Brian

----- Forwarded message from John Westbrook <jwest@rcsb.rutgers.edu> -----

I am happy to report from the meeting last week that the
OMG proposal for macromolecular structure is well on track.
The CORBA implementation follows the mmCIF dictionary quite
strictly.   In fact one the great successes here is that the
OMG has recognized the IUCr as setting the content for this
area.   This is a very important accomplishment which will
make the long term relationship with the OMG a complimentary
one.   The final vote on the proposal will take place in
a couple of months.

Regards,

John

  John Westbrook
  Department of Chemistry
  610 Taylor Road
  Piscataway, NJ 08854-8087
  e-mail: jwest@rcsb.rutgers.edu
  Ph:  (732) 445-4290  Fax: (732) 445-4320
----- End forwarded message -----