Re: CIF line limits

Dear Gotzon,

	Thank you for your comments which strongly support the position
that Herbert Bernstein has been promoting.  Herbert, Brian and I have been
working on a formal proposal which we hope (when it is ready) to present
to Comcifs.  The essence of this proposal will be a line limit of around
2000 characters for CIF 2.0 but with a strong recommendation that people
should continue to observe the 80 character line limit of CIF 1.1 wherever
possible.  The proposal contains a mechanism by which a file written in
CIF 2.0 can, if necessary, be folded into 80 characters in such a way that
it can be fully reconstructed with long lines later.  It may be a week or
two before this proposal is ready to be presented, but we are actively
working on it.

			David

Dr.I.David Brown,  Professor Emeritus
Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research,
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Tel: 1-(905)-525-9140 ext 24710
Fax: 1-(905)-521-2773
idbrown@mcmaster.ca