Re: IUCr Congress - Florence

Dear David,

  I like the idea of a CIF program.  I think we need both a workshop and
scientific sessions.  However, in all fairness to those who are working
with other approaches, I think we should make both the workshop and the
scientific sessions cover all currently active approaches to data/metadata
representation for structural studies, with an explicit invitation for the
XML proponents to participate.  Therefore, I would suggest that COMCIFS
in collaboration with the appropriate IUCr Commissions organize:

  1.  A workshop in data/metadata representation for structural studies,
covering the uses of CIF, STAR, XML, ASN.1, ... in crystallography, NMR,
etc., with emphasis on issues of available ontologies and mechanisms for
interchange and interoperability.  The focus of the workshop would be on
what working crystallographers, chemists and biologists need to know to
handle their structural data effectively, from collection to deposition
and publication.

  2.  At least one scientific session on hot topics in data/metadata
representation for structural studies.  The focus of the session
would be on where data/metadata representation issues relevant to
structure studies are headed.  The primary audience would be the
architects of databases and software systems that will have to provide
the infrastructure for the field as it evolves.

  Regards,
    Herbert