Re: CIF specification: reserved prefixes

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Doug du Boulay wrote:

> For the purposes of parsing CIF tags, it looks like banning underscores from
> prefixes gains you nothing that you couldn't get more reliably and
> efficiently by introducing a standard prefix separator such as the  ":"
> character.

And while we are at it call it "CIF namespaces" and point to the excellent
solution offered by XML namespaces for implementation details. Then the
prefixes don't have to be registered, nor do they "need" (though
desirable) to be uniquely different across the world.

my $0.02 worth, and now switching my CIF mail filter back on.

cheers

Nick

Dr N. Spadaccini                                      Head of School

School of Computer Science &                voice: +(61 8) 9380 3452
Software Engineering                          fax: +(61 8) 9380 1089
The University of Western Australia      email: nick@csse.uwa.edu.au
35 Stirling Highway                    w3: www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~nick
CRAWLEY, Perth,  WA  6009
AUSTRALIA                               CRICOS Provider Code: 00126G

Reply to: [list | sender only]