Re: COMCIFS open meeting a Florence

I think you have chosen a good theme. One would just need to be sure
that the Committee on Crystallographic Databases has not picked up the
same topic for their MS (if they are thinking of organising one.)

> How can we avoid Data Frustration?

   If you change the title to
        How can we avoid Frustration?
    I'm sure you will multiply the attendance by 100. If you need any
illustrative material, I receive copious amounts of unsolicited e-mail
containing just what you need or perhaps more precisely what the people
who send this stuff think that I need!

> 2. Searching Across Databases
>       Importance of common definitions

   It think you need something in here about metadata and the PMH
(protocol for meta-data harvesting).

> 3. Taming the Data Generators: Synchrotrons and Neutrons
>       (Perhaps two short papers)

   I'm not really quite sure what you have in mind here. If I follow the
general title 'Data Frustration', the sort of complaint that I hear most
frequently concerns the poor quality and lack of completeness of the
information in database XYZ. Amusingly these same people seem very
little influenced by the style and quality of the user interface to
access the information and more concerned by its quality. CIF is an
enabling technology for data validation and so has much to contribute to
alleviate data frustration. Another perceived aspect of data frustration
is one of access and in particular open access. Somehow I don't think
that CIF and COMCIFS as such is the agency of change (progress?) in the
'access' area.

> 5. Interfacing with Chemistry
>       CML and other chemical approaches

   The choice of speaker is strongly influenced by the policy that the
organising committee of IUCr 2005 takes with respect to invited speakers
or organisers who only have an interest in attending one particular
session. At a session on the internet that I organized for IUCr 1996,
one of my speakers (a non-crystallographer) was local to the conference
venue, only came for the morning of the microsymposium and was allowed
to enter without paying any registration fee. At IUCr 2002 no matter how
short a period one attended the conference, one could not get through
the door without paying the full registration fee. If I mention this, it
is because I think there are potential speakers on the above topic
coming from the RSC (in Cambridge, UK). I see great merit in having
someone from the chemical community coming along to tell us what is
going on and what they expect from the crystallographers.

[I think I phrased everything sufficiently carefully to be able to send
this message to the list.]

H.

Reply to: [list | sender only]