Re: Provence and property rights

At 16:48 19/09/2004 -0400, Herbert J. Bernstein wrote:
>My apologies for the prior message without its intended text.  What
>I had intended to say was:
>
>In most jurisdictions, the format of a copyright notice is prescribed
>by law.   Fortunately, copyright can exist without a valid notice, but
>failure to format the notice correctly can have an inpact on the
>damages recoverable in an infringement case.  See for example
>
>http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#fnv
>
>This means that the prescribed loop, while useful is not likely
>to be sufficient, and for the moment, authors are best advised
>to continue to use a comment early in the text of the CIF for
>their formal copyright notice.
>   -- Herbert

Thanks - perhaps it could be extended in a similar way to the _rights
concepts, by:
_copyright_reference
which points to a URL or file containing information on the copyright and
_copyright_details
which could contain the precisely formatted copyright declaration in the
required form. These would also be included in the _copyright_* loop_

This would make it clear that the copyright was specifically identifiable
and should be less fragile than comments

P.

Peter Murray-Rust
Unilever Centre for Molecular Informatics
Chemistry Department, Cambridge University
Lensfield Road, CAMBRIDGE, CB2 1EW, UK
Tel: +44-1223-763069

Reply to: [list | sender only]