Re: Items for the Agenda of the COMCIFS closed meeting

I support the breadth of the discussion suggested by Herbert. We
should always be examining new alternatives to the way that we are
currently handling and defining data, and these closed meetings are
the place to do this. All of us recognise the investment and inertia
involved in some of the current data applications and that changes
to these will need to carefully planned and staged.  It has taken
us 15 years to get to this stable level of managing crystallographic
data and it well may take another 15 to get to the next!
John Westbrook and I intend presenting our ideas on an integrated DDL
for crystallographic dictionaries based on StarDDL.  As far as I can
judge crystallography is currently a leader in the development and use
of data ontologies, and I think we should try to keep it that way.
Cheers
Syd
------
Professor Sydney R. Hall
School Biomedical & Chemical Sciences
University of Western Australia
Crawley, 6009  AUSTRALIA.
Ph: +61 (8) 6488 2725
Fx: +61 (8) 6488 1118
"Data data everywhere but not a thought to think!" - Theodore Roszak