Draft Minutes of the closed COMCIFS meetings

  • To: "Discussion list of the IUCr Committee for the Maintenance of the CIFStandard (COMCIFS)" <comcifs@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Draft Minutes of the closed COMCIFS meetings
  • From: David Brown <idbrown@mcmaster.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:05:26 -0400
I enclose below the draft minutes of the closed meetings of COMCIFS held
during the IUCr Congress in Florence.  Can those of you who attended
please check and let me know if there are any corrections needed.

Thanks

David Brown

Draft minutes of the COMCIFS closed meetings at the IUCr Congress in
Florence, August 23-31, 2005.
David Brown (Chair)

Meeting of the Chair with the Executive Committee
I met briefly with the Executive Committee and pointed out that we
needed to extend our Terms of Reference beyond the current and limited
purpose of 'maintaining the integrity of CIF' on behalf of the Union.
The terms should also include the ability to establish standards that
would allow crystallographic information in electronic form to be
accessed by other related disciplines.  The Executive Committee was
receptive to this idea, and I will shortly circulate a proposed
rewording for discussion and approval.

I also pointed out that after 15 years the CIF project was at a
crossroads and needed to move into new directions;  I expected the
meetings of COMCIFS at the present Congress would set the agenda for the
next five or more years.  The Executive Committee was appreciative of
the work we had done and expressed its confidence in what we might
propose for the future.

The Executive Committee did, however, express some reservations about
the lack of new and younger voting members on COMCIFS.  While they
appreciated that this critical juncture was not the time for a large
turn-over of members, we were urged to consider bringing in new blood at
the next Congress.

COMCIFS Closed Meetings
-----------------------------------
In addition to the COMCIFS open meeting and the microsymposium hosted by
the Computing Commission and COMCIFS, which will be reported in the IUCr
Newsletter, COMCIFS held two closed meetings.  The following were
present at one or both meetings: David Brown (as chair), Brian McMahon,
Herbert Bernstein, Simon Coles, Howard Flack, Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve, Syd
Hall, James Hester, Owen Johnson, Peter Murray-Rust, Nick Spadaccini,
Brian Toby and John Westbrook,

Following a report on my discussions with the Executive Committee, the
meeting agreed with the proposal that COMCIFS should take responsibility
for the maintenance of the orphaned DDL1 (Dictionary Definition Language
1).  Discussion on the interoperability between CIF and XML led
naturally to Syd Hall's presentation on starDDL, and in turn to a
general discussion of the requirements for the next version of CIF.  In
brief, these include a more structured hierarchy of concepts, better
linking between concepts, the introduction of vector and matrix items,
the introduction of methods which would allow an item to be calculated
from other items present in the CIF, and interoperability with XML while
maintaining full compatibility with the existing CIF archives written
using DDL1 or DDL2 dictionaries.  It was however recognized that some
significant investment would be needed in open source tools if the
project is to be accepted by the community.  While early versions of CIF
could be prepared on a word processor, a factor crucial to CIF's
original acceptance by the crystallographic community, the new
generation of CIFs would need creation and editing tools to ensure that
their more complex structure fully conformed to the new dictionaries.

The second meeting opened with a review by John Westbrook of the current
status of CIF in the Protein Data Bank, highlighting their requirements
in any new version of CIF (e.g., XML and backward CIF compatibility).
In the discussion following there was a consensus on the requirements of
the next generation of CIF and that starDDL provided a suitable basis
for the development of a new generation of dictionaries.  These would be
compatible with the current CIF archive and would add the functionality
required in the future.  There was also agreement that the dictionaries
needed to be divided on an hierarchical principle rather than following
the ad hoc arrangement that had grown up during the early development
stages.

In order to move rapidly forward, Syd Hall, Nick Spadaccini and John
Westbrook agreed to post a version of starDDL to serve as the basis for
future development.  Syd also agreed to provide software to transform
the current dictionaries into starDDL compliant dictionaries (though
warning that manual editing of these would also be necessary).  David
Brown and Brian McMahon agreed to work on the rearrangement of items
into dictionaries that followed the hierarchy of crystallographic
concepts.  Protocols for the merging of dictionaries would be needed.
David Brown and Brian McMahon also agreed to prepare a timeline for the
development of the new standard, indicating what features (dictionaries,
software, etc.) would be needed at each point, and what resources would
need to be found.

As we finished, John Westbrook suggested that the acronym CIF should be
reinterpreted as Crystallographic Information Framework.  This was given
a favourable reception (as it had been in Geneva).  A formal motion to
effect this change will be presented to COMCIFS.

I. David Brown
Chair
begin:vcard
fn:I.David Brown
n:Brown;I.David
org:McMaster University;Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research
adr:;;King St. W;Hamilton;Ontario;L8S 4M1;Canada
email;internet:idbrown@mcmaster.ca
title:Professor Emeritus
tel;work:+905 525 9140 x 24710
tel;fax:+905 521 2773