Re: Global section in CIF headers

The _audit_link items do appear to provide a basis to work on.
Including Brian's suggestions, I think we need the following:

1. Expanding their scope to include any data block (rather than only
ones in the same file)
2. Explicit guidance on how to contruct a unique _audit_block_code
(the pdCIF block_id instructions are a good example)
3. Adding a further enumerated dataitem to use to specify
relationships which may be useful for computer-based applications
(e.g. that the referenced data block is a pattern from a standard
material used to determine the wavelength)

Regarding (1), I can't see how a URL would ever work, given that CIF
files were meant for transfer i.e. the location of a file is likely to
be difficult to pin down unless it is in an archive.  On the other
hand, URI information could be included with the meaning that 'when
this file was produced, the referenced data block was at the following
URI'.

Are there any objections to formalising this into a dictionary
enhancement proposal?  It would probably fit under the recently
proposed procedure for small changes.

best wishes,
James.