Re: Request for a vote on a motion

  • To: "Discussion list of the IUCr Committee for the Maintenance of the CIFStandard (COMCIFS)" <comcifs@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Re: Request for a vote on a motion
  • From: James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 23:54:26 +1000
  • References: <AANLkTilyJE2mCxprlBYaSkysu1OBjY7otWrXDWm3oOT9@mail.gmail.com><AANLkTikTee4PicHKjnnbAdipegyELQ6UWLXz9Zm08aVL@mail.gmail.com><AANLkTinZ4KNsnREOOU6sVFdGYR_aQHcjdWr_ko648NGm@mail.gmail.com><AANLkTintziXhwVCEFD0yUtTDo9KG8ut=oL4OgmkjmEBe@mail.gmail.com><alpine.BSF.2.00.1008240629120.23114@epsilon.pair.com><AANLkTi=+qZQrWJ3duOzWyPq5H=w1GOVbeKRfFLTR8u5a@mail.gmail.com><alpine.BSF.2.00.1008240920580.23114@epsilon.pair.com><AANLkTikRLKp6oREvD4KcgUd-H-Cu6xoOrGWgQE1zUyx7@mail.gmail.com><alpine.BSF.2.00.1009022333190.52468@epsilon.pair.com><AANLkTimLUnUjNuS9EmMbtTurxB3MGtGvM6gWxZw6aRLE@mail.gmail.com><alpine.BSF.2.00.1009030735110.95035@epsilon.pair.com><AANLkTinxkquC5cY0m23yzBVgm7afmYYfh6+2yMz=Hr_w@mail.gmail.com><alpine.BSF.2.00.1009100711070.59446@epsilon.pair.com><AANLkTikuoQEU-rv9GkTqqc0u0qgd1ugf+cGTfqF77j-E@mail.gmail.com><AANLkTiks-tEAU9T_ygwvNhs_YpzE1+ZVb=K_=0DT8UuK@mail.gmail.com><a06240800c8b95c519c8a@149.72.4.111><a06240800c8b9962d2bff@192.168.2.104><a06240803c8b9c2f8aba2@192.168.2.104>
Dear COMCIFS members and observers:

As the matters presented in Herbert's motion are currently being
actively considered by a COMCIFS subcommittee created specifically for
discussing and assessing these issues (the DDLm working group), I
would like to move that Herbert's proposal be referred to that
subcommittee.

For those who came in late:
Around August last year a DDLm working group was formed to finalise a
set of specifications for presentation to COMCIFS for approval.  As
Herbert notes, this working group released a draft syntax standard in
June this year, which has been available since then for comment.  Due
to objections to the encoding method put forward in that draft, a
subgroup (including Herbert) was formed to explore and resolve the
issues around text encodings.  That subgroup is currently considering
a number of proposals; a record of the ongoing discussions can be
found at http://www.iucr.org/__data/iucr/lists/cif2-encoding.

I appreciate that the DDLm standard is taking frustratingly long to
finalise.  My perception is that the DDLm encodings group is close to
resolving the encoding issue, whether by consensus or vote, at which
point a final draft will be presented to COMCIFS with enough
supporting material to allow COMCIFS to make an informed decision.

James.