Re: Tentative agenda for COMCIFS closed meetings Aug 28th and Aug 29th

Dear COMCIFS members,

While in an ideal world we would all have had time to digest and consider the new DDLm proposal well prior to the meeting, I am informed that it is relatively recent work with the final touches still being applied. Syd and Nick quite reasonably would like a chance to guide us through it before we begin discussion. So, given the short time between presentation and discussion, I do not think a vote to adopt the new DDLm is likely to occur at the second closed meeting.  Likewise, without consideration of the contents of the new DDLm proposal, it would not be sensible to adopt the "old" DDLm specification.  I am however hopeful that CIF2 syntax will be relatively unaffected by the new DDLm proposal, so that we have a reasonable chance of voting to accept syntax.  For this reason I have suggested that only a CIF2 syntax vote will be conducted.

Of course, if we all find ourselves in agreement, then we may also vote on adopting DDLm.

I hope that this clarifies the situation.

James.