Re: Revitalising COMCIFS

Dear All,

A COMCIFS meeting is certainly a good idea. I would prefer the week after Commdat to give us time to have some preliminary discussions here about topics raised. I will ask Brian to arrange a doodle poll.

Herbert - thanks for the reminder about other standards organisations - the minimalist RFC approach does seem remarkably successful.

John - good to have some insight into how things work in the MM world. Any particular suggestions on ways to improve COMCIFS operations based on the clearly successful MM experiences would be welcomed, I think. As far as bureaucracy goes I'd opt for "no more than necessary" rather than "none at all". At the moment in the "none at all" situation, if you aren't prepared to wade through COMCIFS discussions for the last decade (or more) it can be difficult to have any idea as to how we do things. So it may be that the final resting place of my proposals is that we prepare a few RFC style documents that explain how we do the important things, together with an RFC that describes how to make new RFCs. I would be keen to delegate the actual dictionary construction process that you describe to separate groups that can figure out for themselves the best way to work - if we provide them with a suggested roadmap and offer them a place on Github to get started with that would probably be enough.

Again, an important goal of this initiative is to increase the number of people contributing in the CIF space. There is a serious bottleneck at the moment as can be seen from the number of unresolved threads in coreDMG, the page of unresolved issues on the Github respository, and various dictionary initiatives languishing.  Many of these do not require deep knowledge of CIF. I'm not expecting a broad influx of people but even 5 new contributors who are willing to take on one-off tasks would make an enormous difference.

all the best,
James.