From: compcomm-bounces@iucr.org [compcomm-bounces@iucr.org] on behalf of Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve [rwgrosse-kunstleve@lbl.gov]
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:33 AM
To: compcomm@iucr.org
Subject: new CCC term

Hello members and consultants of the IUCr Commission on Crystallographic Computing (CCC)!

I'm writing as the new chairman. This is the first message to the updated compcomm mailing list, reflecting the new membership as approved by the IUCr executive during the Madrid conference. If you prefer to use a different email address for this list, please let me know.

Below are 3 discussion points:

1. New name for our satellite meeting: Computing Workshop
2. Tenative site for the 2014 Computing Workshop: Carleton University, Ottawa
3. Time for the workshop: before or after the main IUCr conference?

Point 1:

The main role of this commission is to organize the next CCC satellite meeting before or after the next IUCr conference in 2014 (Montreal, Canada). The first thing I'd like to change is the name of our satellite. The old name "Computing School" doesn't convey very well the character of the meeting. It may put off more senior people, and discourage people from attending more than once. The past three meetings (Siena 2005, Kyoto 2008, Oviedo 2011) had much more the character of a workshop. I'd like to continue to strongly encourage all participants to actively contribute to the meeting via tutorials and ad-hoc talks. Therefore I suggest we call the meeting

Satellite Workshop of the IUCr Commission on Crystallographic Computing

or short "Computing Workshop". On the website for the workshop we could add something like "formerly known as Computing School".

Point 2:

Patrick Mercier volunteered to be the local organizer for the Computing Workshop. He is based in Ottawa, which is just 150km away from Montreal. Patrick suggests Carleton University in Ottawa as a good site for our workshop. Accommodation, meals, and talks can all be in close proximity, like in the previous schools. I think this is ideal.

Point 3:

The main IUCr meeting is from Aug 5-12, 2014, about two weeks earlier in the month than usual. Traditionally our satellite meeting is before the main meeting. This would mean the Computing Workshop would run from about Wed Jul 30 through Tue Aug 5. Is this too early? Is this likely to clash with other meetings? Should we consider having the Computing Workshop after the main meeting, i.e. Aug 12-18? Feedback on this subject is highly appreciated.

All the best,
Ralf