Item 5.2

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Item 5.2
  • From: "I. David Brown" <idbrown@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:57:41 +0100 (BST)
Dear Kathleen,

	Thanks for your email which I have copied at the end of this
message.  I am also copying this reply to the Core DMG so you will
probably get this message twice.

	Re agenda item 5.2, I note that you feel it is better to stay with
the peptide sequence code already in use when writing CSD entries in CIF,
rather than adopt a new code which would be directly compatible with the
mmCIF descriptions.  I can understand the reasons for this decision and,
as long as your peptide sequence synonym is parseable, as it clearly is, a
conversion to mmCIF should presumably be possible.

	You suggest _CSD_peptide_name or _CSD_peptide_code as the name for
this item.  You mention that there is a CCDC reserved CIF name which
allows you to invent any CIF name that start with _CCDC, but that this
code is used for internal purposes rather than for the items in the
database itself.  The code _CSD has not yet been reserved, but there is no
reason why CCDC should not reserve it for use in transcribing entries in
the database.  There is a list of reserved codes on the IUCr web site
(look under CIF, specification, reserve datanames) and a form for
registering new codes.  I would recommend that CCDC register _CSD for use
when transcribing specialized items from CSD entries into CIF.

	If you do this we can strike item 5.2 from the agenda of the Core
DMG.

			Best wishes

				David

Dr.I.David Brown,  Professor Emeritus
Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research,
McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Tel: 1-(905)-525-9140 ext 24710
Fax: 1-(905)-521-2773
idbrown@mcmaster.ca