Approval of CIF core changes for 2.3

  • To: Multiple recipients of list <coredmg@iucr.org>
  • Subject: Approval of CIF core changes for 2.3
  • From: Brian McMahon <bm@iucr.org>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 14:49:44 +0100 (BST)
At David's request I have posted his consolidated list of proposed changes
to the CIF core dictionary, representing the revised content that will form
version 2.3, on the web at
   http://www.iucr.org/iucr-top/cif/cif_core/cifCoreDic-2.3approved.txt

This version takes account of the recent rounds of discussion, and includes
only those items considered non-controversial or fully resolved. The aim is
to have this version formally approved for incorporation into International
Tables Volume. Work will of course continue on other proposed additions for
version 2.4, and there is no reason why progress towards that need be
delayed.

David remarks:

"I have edited this document to make the comments more
relevant, but I have also sharpened up some of the definitions, corrected
some mistakes and added a large number of _related_item and
_related_function items.  There are also comments about other related
changes that are needed to existing dictionaries.

	I am sure that there are still errors in this document, so I hope
that people will draw our attention to any they find."

It is therefore important to check through the new entries carefully, even
though we have seen them several times before. I shall try to run some
software-assisted consistency checks in the next few days, and post any
comments or results arising from those.

Best wishes