Re: Draft CIF dictionary for rgid body description

  • To: Distribution list of the IUCr COMCIFS Core Dictionary Maintenance Group <coredmg@iucr.org>, Ilia Guzei <iguzei@fozzie.chem.wisc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Draft CIF dictionary for rgid body description
  • From: "George M. Sheldrick" <gsheldr@shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:19:56 +0200 (CEST)

There is a very good reason why shelxl does not allow an atom to be in
more than one rigid group: it is mathematically impossible except for the
special case where the the 'pivot atom' is itself in another rigid group
which defines its x, y and z coordinates. This special case is very
complex to program. Restraints are much simpler to implement and probably
more effective because they distribute the errors more flexibly.

George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,