Re: [ddlm-group] THREAD 3: The alphabet of non-delimited strings.

Dear Colleagues,

   If I understand the James and Brian's modified form of 1.2 correctly,
when writing a string in the future we would do the following:

   1.  If it contains any of the characters that might cause confusion
inside a bracketed constuct, or which contained any of the quoting
chacacters, the writing software would be required to quote it, but,

   2.  When writing any quoted construct, we would always follow the
tailing quote with whitespace.

Thus in writing a bracketed series of quoted strings, we would follow
each trailing quote with a space before the comma or close bracket, but
on read would accept a comma coming immediately after the close quote.

Is that correct?

I also believe that Nick has asked that the "(,...)" constructs not be
considered bracketed constructs.

Is that correct?

If both are correct, does that mean that we will always present things
such as (3.42(1),1.58(6)), used, say for a complex number, as
"(3.42(1),1.58(6))"

To be consistent with Brian's "maximally disruptive" suggestion, might
it not be more useful for future development to allow parens as bracketed
constructs?  I do not believe that there is any serious chance of either
parser of user confusition between the bracketed construct use of () and
the esd use of parens.

Regards,
   Herbert