Re: [ddlm-group] Handling single string values longer than maximumline length

Yes, I agree.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Nick Spadaccini <nick@csse.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
I don't find the necessity for line folding a convincing argument, but so
long as I don't have to worry about it when parsing a file, I am not fussed.

Line-folding has to exist for an 80 byte restriction, because the
restriction is ludicrous. STAR has no restriction, CIFx has 2048 bytes
(still silly but imposed by outside factors). One may have data values
longer than 2048 (I have yet to see any), and sequencing data perhaps will
fall in to this category. But if John doesn't (seemingly) understand the
line folding issues, I am guessing the PDB doesn't employ it. If the
custodians of macromolecular data and (presumably) sequencing data have a
solution that does not require the convoluted line folding operations
specified on the IUCr website, then who does?

I see Joe has already made the mistake of thinking that
Xxxx\
;

Means the trailing ; is not a token delimiter. Well every other line-folding
convention would conclude that, but the IUCr interpretation is that the
trailing ; DOES terminate the string, and that last \ is actually stripping
off the final \n (which isn't there anyway because that got stripped off as
part of the lexing process -  the string terminators are supposed to be
removed).

OR I have completely misunderstood the line folding protocol and the example
on the IUCr webpage is wrong? I am not sure which.

Either way do we all agree that the line folding is not a lexer issue?