Re: [ddlm-group] Space as a list item separator

Dear Colleagues,

   Instead of looking at the minimally disruptive approach as a
modification to CIF 2, in order to in fact be minimally disruptive, I
would suggest looking at CIF 1.5 in terms if what would need to be changed
in CIF 1.1 in order to support DDLm.

   I think the following will do it:

   For data values, only, recognize three new initial string delimiters in
addition to the existing single quote ("'"), double quote ("\"") and
newline-semicolon ("\n;"):

   left brace ("{")
   left square bracket ("[")

Unless these are encountered in a left to right scan at a point at which
the first character if a data value is expected, the parse remains the
same as for CIF 1.1.

Once the left brace or left square bracket is encountered, then whatever
the formally agreed rules for the CIF2 parse are would apply until the
balancing terminal right brace or right square bracket.  It is only the
top level terminal right brace or right square bracket that would be
required to be followed by whitespace.

The new dictionaries would _not_ be written in CIF 1.5, only in full CIF
2, but parsers would be expected to process any CIF not clearly
self-identifying as a CIF 2 file as a CIF 1.5 file.  This means that the
only major use of CIF 2 constructs in CIF 1.5 would be to allow users to
provide list, matrix and vector data values.

This also means, for example, as per David's suggestion, that the only way
a tag with embedded square brackets or embedded braces would be handled in
a new dictionary would be as an alias, but the formality of CIF 1.5 would
give applications a clean way to make use of those aliases in parsing data
files.

If we follow this approach, then we would be honoring the published
commitment to be able to keep essentially all exsiting data files
unchanged, and still be able to handle them with DDLm.  The only exception
would be data files that happen to include data values that begin with '{'
or '[', which would now have to be quoted. I do not believe that there are
many such cases, and I believe that there would be acceptance of the need
to add such quoting if encountered.

To summarize:

   Development of CIF 2 with DDLm support would continue and be used for
new dictionaires; and

   Development of CIF 1.5 to serve as a bridge between CIF 1.1 and DDLm
would start, primarily giving uses the ability to provide list, matrix and
vector data values, would be started to allow for a smooth transition to
wider use of DDLm and CIF 2

Regards,
   Herbert