"strings which have no meaning beyond their significance as tokens are not required to be separated by whitespace from the preceding or succeeding strings"

we remove the requirement for whitespace around brackets, commas and 'loop_'.  Of course, insofar as strings neighbouring these will require whitespace around them, this does not spoil our grammar at all.  (Note that in lexing/parsing terms, the condition that "strings are only significant as tokens" is supposed to be equivalent to discarding the 'value' assigned to a token when it is returned by the lexing stage.)

The insight I'd draw out of this for our current discussion is that, by taking your manifesto plus my above condition, we have a general statement of what we would like the surface syntax of a CIF file to look like.  The only difference from our current discussion is that we have restricted the charactersets of the non-delimited string and dataname tag more than strictly necessary - is there some part of that characterset discussion that you'd like to reopen...in a different thread?

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 9:29 PM, SIMON WESTRIP <simonwestrip@btinternet.com> wrote:
Yes that summarizes the differences. Unfortunately, the single-byte non-delimited strings have to be separated by
white space in this approach, which is perhaps counter-intuitive and mght have some legacy issues?

From: James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com>

To: Group finalising DDLm and associated dictionaries <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
Sent: Sunday, 29 November, 2009 3:45:18

Subject: Re: [ddlm-group] Space as a list item separator

Hi Simon: I'm trying to read between the lines here as to how the syntax we have been discussing diverges from what you have described, and have come up with the following list:

1. Presumably the []{} characters must be surrounded by whitespace in your version
2. We have restricted the character sets of the non-delimited strings and tags more than strictly necessary.
3. Comma might be included in the single-byte non-delimited string list

Are there any other differences that you would identify?