From: Herbert J. Bernstein <yaya@bernstein-plus-sons.com>
To: jwest@rcsb.rutgers.edu; Group finalising DDLm and associated dictionaries <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
Sent: Tuesday, 1 December, 2009 12:45:41
Subject: Re: [ddlm-group] Stakeholders

Dear John,

> Circulating a request for comment on community lists carries an
> implication impending change.  For PDB users this will be viewed
> by many as adding confusion and complexity to a format that is
> already viewed as over complicated.

Isn't the very intention of this effort that there be "impending change"?
Don't those same users have to see a specification of CIF 2 before it
comes into use?  Will not the "maximally disruptive" approach adopted
by this group add "confusion and complexity to a format that is already
viewed as overly complicated" whenever they learn of this?

Surely the sooner we start the necessary educational process and
the sooner we build support infrastructure for what has been made into
an intrinsicly difficult transition, the better.

Regards,
  Herbert