[ddlm-group] CIFtbx 4 testers needed

Dear Colleagues,

   You might get a little sense of CIF 1.5 (and of the issues of using
Fortran for CIF)  if you will take the time (and disk space) to give a try
to testing the CIFtbx 4.1.0 kit at

   http://www.bernstein-plus-sons.com/software/ciftbx_4.1.0
or
   http://arcib.dowling.edu/~bernsteh/software/ciftbx_4.1.0

with the source repository in the CIFtbx_4 module of the CVS
in the ciftbx project on blondie.dowling.edu

   I know some of you do not like my use of scripts for on-the-fly
decompression.  You can pick up a 9.2 MB version of the web site
without the decompression script at

   http://arcib.dowling.edu/~bernsteh/software/ciftbx_4.1.0.tar.bz2

and the companion shars (18.2MB) at:

   http://arcib.dowling.edu/~bernsteh/software/ciftbx_4.1.0_shars.tar.bz2

Unpacked, the two kits will use 100MB.

   This is a new version of CIFtbx that handles DDL1 CIF, DDL2 CIF and, to
some extent, the developing DDLm CIF.  This code does not try to do
methods, but it does handle lists as an option, and tries to honor the
type checking from some of the older DDLm-based dictionaries.  The utility
cif2cif is able to copy the expanded core CIF dictionary from June 2006,
using an event-driven parse, working through lists one element at a time.
There is a lot of new code, so I am certain there will be bugs.  Please
report problems to me.  So far I've tried it with g77, g95 and gfortran,
under Linux and Mac OS X, and it seems to work under all of them.

   Certainly, as CIF 2 matures, I will update this code to handle CIF 2,
but the same code is also going to handle DDL1 CIF 1.1, DDL2 CIF 1.1
and DDLm CIF 1.5.

   CBFlib, which has long handled DDL1 CIF 1.1, DDL2 CIF 1.2 and DDL2 CBF
is also being updated to handle CIF 1.5 and will be released as CBFlib 0.9
shortly with methods support using James Hester's parser.  I'll
send another message when it is ready.

   Regards,
     Herbert