From: Joe Krahn <krahn@niehs.nih.gov>
To: Group finalising DDLm and associated dictionaries <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
Sent: Friday, 4 December, 2009 20:23:09
Subject: Re: [ddlm-group] Summary of proposed CIF syntax changes

SIMON WESTRIP wrote:
> I agree that a "rationale for all of the quotation rule
> changes" might be welcome - I can imagine that at first glance many people
> will wonder what the """ and ''' are for.
>
> I'm not sure that hinting that comma-separated lists
> are also a possibilty is going to help matters?
My willingness to support commas is partly because Herbert finds it
usefule, and has already implemented it. Maybe the comma-delimited
variant can be useful as a CIF 1.5 transitional form?

> Afterall, when it comes down to it, until there are
> dictionaries that comply to CIF2, many disciplines
> that already make use of CIF will find it difficult to
> adopt CIF2 because their current dictionaries will be invalidated by
> the restrictions on the dataname character set?
Name changes are not uncommon, at least for mmCIF. Hopefully, dictionary
aliases will ease the conversion. It would also help if early CIF2
software should probably allow CIF1 names within the CIF2 syntax, with
warnings, and just exclude them from dREL.

Joe

> Cheers
>
> Simon

begin:vcard
fn:I.David Brown
n:Brown;I.David
org:McMaster University;Brockhouse Institute for Materials Research
adr:;;King St. W;Hamilton;Ontario;L8S 4M1;Canada
email;internet:idbrown@mcmaster.ca
title:Professor Emeritus
tel;work:+905 525 9140 x 24710
tel;fax:+905 521 2773