Re: [ddlm-group] CIF2 Syntax all wrapped up?

In view of the many messages in that last thread that included boht syntax
and reasons forthe choices, it might be a good idea to recap the syntax
portion ofthat dicussion:

1.  It begain on 9 Deb ith Biran asking us to reconsider allowing
punctiation characters in data names.
2.  I responded by suggesting allowing _all_ non-conflicting punctuation
in data names.
3.  David Brown focused the discussion on square brackets
4.  John Westbrook also asked for square bracket support
5.  James and Nick opposed including any additional characters
6.  After a long exchange about aliases, I suggested we simply
extend the definition of all array and list tags to include the
automatic definition of the tags referencing their elements as
a way to bring in the square brackets
7.  David and Joe agreed on the need for square brackets
8.  John agreed with the automatic definition of the tags for the
elements
9.  There was a discussion of the initial index issue and how to specify
an initial index -- with a tag or with a range or both
10.   Nick initially opposed the idea of automatically defining the
element tags, but yielded, provided we did not define the element
tags explicitly in the dictionary
11.  James then supported the idea under the mistaken assumption
that Nick had proposed it.
12. Nick then opposed the idea of having a starting index

So where we are is:

There now seems to be general agreement that when we define an
array or list in the dictionary, all the element tags will
automatically be available to the users

We still have not settled on how/if to specify the necessary
starting index, with the following alternatives on the table:

1.  Don't specifiy the starting index array-by-array, just lock
it in at 0 or 1 for all arrays and lists; or
2.  Do specify the starting index with a range or with a separate
tag or both.

I support allowing an array-dimension by array-dimension specification
of a starting index.  I can live with either a range or a separate tag
or both.
   -- Herbert