Re: [ddlm-group] CIF2 Syntax all wrapped up?

Title:
The only thing I would ask for is that the indices that appear in the CIF be the same as those that are in current crystallophic use.   For most space related arrays the indices would be 1,2 and 3 rather than 0,1 and 2.  I can forsee all kinds of problems if we do not use the indices that people are familiar with.  For the forseeable future people will continue look at and interpret raw CIFs because they are easy to interpret.  This was one of the original criteria around which CIF was structured and it was a main reason that CIF was accepted by the community, although I agree that the need is not as great now as it was then.

I note that even if the zero convention is adopted as the default (as proposed by Herbert), it can be overridden by the dictionary.  I would expect most arrays would be defined in the dictionary as a starting at 1.  My vote would be to make this the default.

David

Herbert J. Bernstein wrote:
Proposals related to special characters in CIF2 tags:

1.  implicitly defined element tags

1.1.  For any CIF 2 tag that defines an array or a list the appearance
of the array or list definition in the dictionary would implicitly
also define tags for each of the array or list elements using the
square bracket notation.

1.2.  The implicitly defined tags would not be explicitly defined in
a dictionary except to the extent needed to define aliases from CIF1
dictionaries for individual elements.

1.3.  The default starting index would remain 0

1.4.  Dimensions would be specified  either as single numbers, e.g. [5],
in which case the starting index would be 0 and the last index would
be one less than the given dimension (i.e. C-style indexing), or as
a range, e.g. [1:6], in which case the starting index would be the
first member of the range and the last index would be one less than
the second member of the range (i.e. a python-style range).  Alternatively,
an offset could be specified as _type.dimension_offset, so that

   _type.dimension [5]
   _type.dimension_offset [1]

would be equivalent to

   _type.dimension [1:6]

1.5.  In order to allow alliases to be defined for the individual
implicitly defined tags, _alias.definition_list would allow a
list of individual aliases to be specified for an array or list

2.  Data files could contain tags that are from any of the following
sets:

     2.1.  Tags explicitly defined in a CIF2 dictionary
     2.2.  Tags implicitly defined by proposal 1, above
     2.3.  Tags defined in CIF1 dictionaries according to CIF1 rules
and linked to a valid CIF2 tag name via the aliasing mechanism.

In order to implement this proposal, the lexical scan for a tag in
CIF 2 would have to scan for a tag per se according to CIF1 rules.
A validating parsr would then check that potential tag against the
soecified dictionaries to see if it satisfied one of the rules on
item 2.  If it did and was an alias, it would be converted to the
equivalent CIF2 tag for any further validation against the dictionary
(i.e. DDLm methods would _not_ handle CIF1 tags).