Re: [ddlm-group] Finalizing DDLm

Dear James,

   For a validating parser that consults the dictionary, a programmer
should see no difference with the interpreation I suggest.  With the
dictionary available, a validating parser would present a single row
loop that the dictionary prefers to have be treated as single values
as those single values, and a collection of single values that the
dictionary prefers to have treated as a loop as a loop.  Nothing
is lost, and the user is saved from dealing with an error that
need nit be treated as an error,  but at most as a warning.

Inasmuch as, under the current rules, all DDLm methods have to come
from dictionaries and not from data files, if the parser is working
on a data file for which no dictionary is available, then the approach
I propose allows for at least some useful interpretation of a
data file -- the same interpretation used by current DDL2 parsers
-- treat any collection of single values from the same category
as if they came from a single row loop.  I am not saying that every
CIF2 data file will be properly readable this way without a dictionary,
but many of them will be.

This is jst another matter of provding a reasonable default coercion
for a case that need not be a fatal error to allow more people to get
useful work done.

Regards,
   Herbert