Re: [ddlm-group] UTF-8 BOM

Dear Colleagues,

James has said:

> So: why exactly is ignoring a BOM a problem?  If the embedded BOM is the
> leading BOM from a UTF16 file that has been naively concatenated, it will
> have bytes 0xFE 0xFF.  This byte sequence (and the reverse) is not
> acceptable UTF8, leading to a decoding error from the UTF8 decoding step.
> The subsequent bytes will be UTF16, which should cause a decoding failure in
> any case.   So I deduce that we are simply discussing how to treat a UTF8
> BOM, which can only find its way into a CIF file by naive concatenation of
> UTF8-encoded files written by certain programs.
>
> If the embedded BOM is a UTF-8 BOM, then ignoring it would be OK, as I don't
> see that it is indicative of any problems beyond misguided choice of text
> editor.
>
> So I would advocate ignoring (and removing) UTF8-BOMs in the input stream,
> and treating all other BOMs as syntax errors.  Individual applications may
> wish to give users the option of interpreting U+FEFF as the deprecated ZWNBP
> (and translating to the correct character) on the understanding that if this
> occurs outside a delimited string it will cause a syntax error.

I propose something slightly different, which will amount to what James
is proposing for applications that wish to handle only UTF8, but which
will be essential for applications that have to work with a wider range
of encodings (e.g. imgCIF applications).

There are three highly likely BOMs that may be encountered at any point
in a byte stream in a Unicode world:

The UTF-8 BOM:  EF BB BF
The UTF-16 big-endian BOM:  FE FF
The UTF-16 little-endian BOM FF FE

For a UTF-8 application, the sequence is EF B8 BF is, as James suggests,
simply something to accept and ignore, with processing continuing
normally without comment.  Again, as James suggests, for a UTF-8 only
applications the other 2 BOMs are invalid characters to treat as an
error.

However, for an application able to work with a wider range of encodings,
the other two BOMs are just what it needs to decide how to handle the
remainder of the stream.

Now that we have settled the case-sensitivity issue in a normalized
unicode context, the recognition of BOMs in this manner imposes no
particular additional burden on applications.  All applications will
have to have utilities to assemble UTF-8 character sequences into
Unicode code points either as 16 bit, or, better, 32 bit integers,
so this is just a perfectly normal and in most cases already coded
branch point in that logic.  It the application wishes to only be
UTF-8 aware, it can chop off the branch that would decode UCS-2/UTF-16
streams.  For what I have to do in my applications, I will simply
accept the output of that branch -- in terms of code points for text
I won't be able to tell the difference among the three possible
streams of encoded characters, and for the UCS-2/UTF-16 bin-utf binary
data I have to handle for imgCIF, things will work.  Certainly, for
interchange with applications that only handle UTF-8, I will write
the 50% expanded UTF-8 encodings of the same binaries, but for
performance limited data collections, I will write out UCS-2/UTF-16
files.

   Nobody is hurt by what I am proposing and CIF2 will see wider
application this way.  Alternatively, if the needs of imgCIF are
unacceptable to be labelled CIF, we can always go back to
calling it imgNCIF (N for "not") as we had to in 1997 until we
called a truce and decided to accept the realities of modern
macromolecular data acquisition.

   Regards,
     Herbert