From: James Hester <jamesrhester@gmail.com>
To: Group finalising DDLm and associated dictionaries <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
Sent: Friday, 18 June, 2010 5:58:42
Subject: Re: [ddlm-group] Vote on BOM

I see that by calling this a UTF8 BOM vote (in line with the
discussion) some have misinterpreted it as a vote on single or
multiple encodings.  It is not.  Parts (1) and (2) are a vote on what
to do when Unicode code point 0xFEFF arises in the decoded data
stream.  Part(3) was included in deference to Herbert's wish to switch
encodings midstream, and if he no longer wishes to do that inside the
CIF2 standard, we can call 0xFE 0xFF a syntax error as it would
normally be.

Herbert (and possibly Simon), if you wish to vote such that the quest
for multiple possible CIF2 encodings is not compromised, I think 1(a),
2(anything) and 3(a) would be a consistent position for you to take
and would not in any way compromise the possibility of multiple
encodings.  Not 3(b), as that implies that decoding is the business of
the CIF2 standard itself, which I gather you are opposed to.

I would strongly urge others to vote ASAP, so that we can resolve the
issue of 0xFEFF.  0xFEFF is completely orthogonal to the question of
multiple encodings, which will *not* be resolved by this vote.

Note that I would be happy to switch my vote to 1(a) instead of 1(b),
so if anybody prefers 1(b), they should say so, as 1(a) is the leader
at the moment.