Re: [ddlm-group] options/text vs binary/end-of-line. .. .. .

There are practical as well as philosophical issues here. My other
post on handling ASCII 'null' had two purposes. One was to elicit
information about the validity or otherwise of a null byte (thanks
John for the clear answer to that). The other was to draw attention
to the original vcif's difficulty in handling this specific issue
because it was using C stdio library routines that recognised null
as a string terminator - not its intended role in this context.

In similar vein, I suppose that many CIF applications will implement
procedures such as testing for validity of character values through
reliance on existing libraries rather than direct bitwise comparisons.
Experience suggests that there will be subtle (or not so subtle)
differences between library implementations from GNU, IBM, Microsoft,
Sun, Apple, Perl, Python, English, American, Japanese, ... authors.
Mostly people will get by with applications that suit their purpose
most of the time, perhaps occasionally helped along by a bit of
stream-editing or opening a file in some editor and saving it out
again in some other format. Simon's mangled mail is another example
of how things do not always work in the real world.

Expecting every CIF application to be robustly able to handle every
conceivable - or even every reasonable - encoding is (what's the
word?) "optimistic", and places a heavy burden on application
developers.

Consider instead the approach of defining the CIF standard as a
text file and using UTF-8 for a "canonical" description of low-level
representations. Supply a set of such canonical CIFs in the
next-generation trip test suite. Require a "compliant" CIF
application to handle the trip tests with the canonical encoding.
Permit - indeed encourage - applications developers to accommodate
other encodings to the extent they can easily do with their standard
text-processing libraries/utilities/tools. Encourage or perhaps
commission a "canonicalisation" suite for use in contexts where
an application cannot natively handle a submitted encoding. Note that
such a suite might have a combination of automatic converters, where
the required translations are fully deterministic; but it may also
require interactive visual tools if there are non-deterministic
translations. It doesn't exclude the possibility of moving to a
different canonical encoding in subsequent revisions.

This isn't a radical new suggestion; it seems to me to encapsulate
many of the points of common ground around which we're still
negotiating our points of principle or philosophy, but I would hope it
can help us to move forward.

Best wishes
Brian