[ddlm-group] New encoding list established

> In fact, it would probably be wise at this stage for the interested
> parties to branch off into a 'ddlm-encodings-group' and bash out a scheme
> along the lines that John B has proposed.  Perhaps Brian could set that up
> for us?

> That would be fine with me, and initially I deferred this response pending
> Brian's answer.  Inasmuch as Brian is a very busy person, however, and seems
> often to need some time to respond to this group, I'm going ahead.

Apologies for the delay with this. I've been on vacation (and was too
distracted by events immediately beforehand to alert you to that fact).
I've established a new list
   cif2-encoding@iucr.org
dedicated to discussions on text encodings and content validation schemes,
and perhaps other low-level syntactic details. I have currently
pre-subscribed to this list:
   James Hester
   John Bollinger
   Herbert Bernstein
   Simon Westrip
   myself
as those expected to be most closely interested in the list. It's not
intended  to be exclusive, rather just to cut down on mailings of
peripheral interest to the rest of you. Anyone is welcome to subscribe
via the usual sign-up page at
   http://scripts.iucr.org/mailman/listinfo/cif2-encoding
(note there's an option after sign-up to receive digest mailings, as is
the case with all of these mailman lists). Or you can just glance from
time to time at the public list archive at
    http://www.iucr.org/resources/lists/cif2-encoding
to see what's going on.

Please note that I'll try to attend as quickly as I can to new subscription
requests or to any problems, but I am still on vacation until Monday August
2nd, at which time full normal service will resume:-)

Best wishes