From: Herbert J. Bernstein <yaya@bernstein-plus-sons.com>
To: Group finalising DDLm and associated dictionaries <ddlm-group@iucr.org>
Sent: Friday, 8 October, 2010 23:38:10
Subject: Re: [ddlm-group] Updated draft from subgroup discussing encodings

I think it is.

The current form of the proposal, as per your suggestion, is:

"string1" _ "string2" or
"string1"_"string2"
etc.

will represent the concatenation of string1 and string2
for any quoted strings, string1 and string2 using any
of the valid quote marks.

The first form does not conflict with any valid cif2
or cif1 construct unless we accept underscore by itself as
a tag.  The second form does conflict with a cif1
quoted string and therefore should not be used if there
is any ambiguity as to whether the file in question
is a cif1 or a cif2 file.