Re: [ddlm-group] String concatenation operator in CIF2. .

Dear Colleagues,

   I may not have completely understood this discussion.  To me much
of the reasoning to be objecting to introducing the
concatenation operator because it changes the meaning of some
possible CIF files, not files that anybody has ever seen, but
possible ones.  Simon's proposal of using the underscore really
does not conflict with any existing CIF because it cannot be
a data value (it begins with an underscore) but also cannot be
a tag name, because we have implicitly treated the underscore in
a tag name as a delimiter rather than part of the name and have
not accepted empty names.

   The only real remaining objection to the underscore seems to be
that it does not look as nice as some of the more classical
concatenation operators: +, //, etc.  While I would prefer one
of the classical operators, there really is nothing wrong with the
underscore and it really does make it much easier to deal with
the transition to CIF2 both for regular expressions and for
folded lines.

   I ask for a formal vote by COMCIFS on the use of the white-space
isolated underscore as a concatenation operator.  To me it seems to
be a very useful addition to CIF2 and at worst a harmless addition.

   Regards,
     Herbert