Re: [ddlm-group] Result of concatenation operator vote

Dear James,

   Nothing is impossible, but the fact remains that for CIF2, all the uses
of the backslash that had been agreed to for CIF1 were explcitly rejected,
largely at Nick's insistence that somehow we were diverging from STAR.
The oddity you have pointed out in the "official" CIF1 syntax document is
another case of Nick's insistence which in fact diverges from CIF1
practice, existing code and existing round-trip cases.  We have somehow
over the years entered an absurd never-never land in which the official
CIF documents say one thing, and the established practice on which people
do real work is something very different.

   If you don't believe me, see the trip test at

http://www.iucr.org/resources/cif/software/ciftest2/ciftest_2.1/outs/ciffold/longtext_out.cif

which explicitly tests that the ;\ construct works for line folding.

   The line folding protocol is an essential reality, especially to allow
CIF to be used with Fortran.

   The use of the required whitespace after everything except the last
token in a CIF document is an essential reality in lexical scans of
existing CIF documents.

   In the name of what is to me is an incomprensible adherence to a
constantly changing and undocumented STAR standard has resulted in loss of
functionality that is needed to keep current applications and current CIF
datasets in use.

   Of course these issues can be resolved.  I keep accumulating fudges for
CIFtbx and CBFlib to deal with them.  The problem is that, without any
COMCIFS level agreement on what the preferred fudges are, there is no
reason to expect that the files my code reads and writes will be
compatible with the files that, say, your code reads and writes, or
compatible with the files that, say, John Westbrook's code reads and
writes, almost guaranteeing that CIF is going to degenerate even more than
it has into multiple idiosyncratic dialects.  To me this seems to be the
antithesis of the goal of the creation of COMCIFS -- which was, as its
name says, to maintain the CIF _standard_.

   I apologize for sounding so preachy and stuffy, but I really think it
would be a good idea to resolve these issues in some commonly agreed
manner and try to keep CIF as a common language, rather than heading
further into multiple dialects.

   Regards,
     Herbert