Re: [ddlm-group] Eliding in triple-quoted strings: Proposals C andD. .. .. .

Dear Herbert

I fail to see how the adoption of python string quoting rules is going to
make life easier for anyone other than a python programmer?
Even then, the mechanism is restricted to treble-quoted strings, which are only
one part of CIF. Maybe I've missed something, but just because CIF might share
common syntax with a programming language in one respect, does not necessarily mean
that the tools of that medium are available to CIF?

If you're looking to base CIF extensions on established mechanisms, why not adopt
the minimal \(newline) and \\ escape sequences, which in essence are the same as
the established CIF line-folding protocol (just dropping the initial \ following the opening
delimiter and formalising the protocol as an inherent part of the spec). Afterall, I beleive you
have already been using it, or at least interpreted it, as a means to escape 'semicolon delimiters' within
semicolon-delimited values (I seem to recall discussions that identified an issue with the published 'trip tests'
relating to line folding).

Forgive me if I have missed something regarding the usefulness of python in CIF; please enlighten me
as to its benefits if I were to write a CIF reader using anything but python. As far as I can see, the only
advantages lie in the fact that the logic is established and thus unquestionable; but that does not mean it is
necessarily entirely appropriate for CIF (which afterall isn't a programming language).

Cheers

Simon