Re: [ddlm-group] Eliding in triple-quoted strings: Proposals C andD. .. .. .

First to the important part -- if James can do the complete
implementation of the treble quote parsing for CIF2 in 15 minutes,
then I respectfully request that he do so, and make the
code available to the rest of us as a template for all
to follow and understand.

Second, what James sees as negative issues in 1 and 2, I see as postive
ones, especially for support of imgCIF, but in no case do I understand
what harm is done to any user or software developer by allowing the
greater generality of the python treble quote with the raw string
and the unicode string.  The question seems to come down to how
early in the parse logic we will be required by the CIF2 standard
to issue warnings or error messages about "illegal" data values.
Are we to have a mandatory requirement for flsgging this at the
lexical level?  Why?  Some of us are going to have to allow for
the suppression on those errors and warnings to be able to process
our data (again imgCIF), but even for those who do not have such
a need, if the treble quote logic returns a string that contains
something "improper" (e.g. some of the disallowed uniocde values)
they can still report it.  How is it different from someone who
is working with a unicode-aware editor who produces a single-quoted
version of one of those characters?

It is unfortunate that we are having this discussion without Ralf.
As I feared, we now seem headed towards a decision by this body
that will require a full re-opened discussion at the COMCIFS level
and and will further delay CIF2, probably for another 3 years.
At least we should be able to take a shot at what we really need,
a face-to-face meeting, in Madrid.

It is a shame.  Ralf really is right.