Re: [ddlm-group] Relationship asmong CIF2, STAR,CIF1 and Python. . . .

Following John's lead, but selecting only those features that I have a strong opinion about (good or bad) and
that may benefit my work with CIF as a publication format (i.e. beyond 'crystallographic' content):

* Feature: Unicode support

Good - will require care in implementation, and a strategy to address current practice of using escape sequences
to represent accents and greek symbols in CIF, but its the way forward.

* Feature: triple-quoted strings

In CIF2 as drafted, these are necessary to reduce the potential impact of the restrictions to the contents of single-quoted strings.
I wonder if we will see the use of the treble-quotes increase as the adoption of CIF2 increases - as it might be seen as a
convenient 'catch all' when editing a CIF by hand. Obviously, if the triple-quotes require a different syntax for the values they
delimit, then their use in this manner will not be straightforward. [Please bear in mind that this is purely speculation - and
in the context of preparing a CIF for journal publication]

* Feature: list data type

Very useful - e.g. for listing _id's that link to looped data - e.g. loop_ _author_name _author_address_id linked to loop_  _address_id _address_institution ...
 (though realization will obviously require new dictionary items)

* Feature: table data type

Potentially useful beyond the dictionary level - but I wouldn't expect to encounter it at the CIF file level in the short term.
Purely as a matter of taste, I would prefer the separation of the label and value to be by whitespace rather than colon, simply
because the basic lexing would follow the same rules as for all other delimited tokens - but I emphasize that this is solely
a personal quirk.

Please take these comments as intended - purely a personal view of how some of the features might relate to my work.

I am tempted to take this further and provide a picture of what I would like to see, again with
the emphasis on CIFs use as a publication format. As Herbert recognizes, the publishing field is progressive.
The IUCr journals activities reflects this - how far CIF can be exploited in this respect remains to be seen...

Cheers

Simon