Re: [ddlm-group] Relationship asmong CIF2, STAR, CIF1 and Python. .

There is a persistent misunderstanding of the different roles the
various layers in the CIF framework play.  CIF2 is a syntax
specification for serialising a collection of simple relational
database structures.  As such, DDL dictionaries are also just
relational databases.  Programs and people can use the information in
the DDL dictionaries to check the validity of data files and
dictionaries.  The innovation of dREL is to provide a way of
describing algorithmic relationships among relational database
entries.  These algorithms can be translated and used by programs.

I hope this description captures the elegant simplicity of the CIF
framework.  To start to talk about making these databases executable
or making the database serialisation protocol a program at best makes
very little sense and at worst pollutes the clear demarcation lines
between the components.  Each component in the framework is optimised
for the role it plays, relatively simple to understand (I had thought)
and largely insulated from changes in any of the others.

Anybody (and I have been among those people) who thinks that dREL
should just be replaced by some well-known programming language fails
to understand the function that it carries out and the context in
which it executes.  For instance:

(1) dREL is optimised for relational database work, in particular:
      - dREL has very neat syntactic sugar to allow indexing items
between categories using category keys
      - dREL introduces syntax for looping over categories
(2) All dictionary datanames are automatically in scope
(3) The dREL method does not have to concern itself with
implementation details such as keeping track of which loop packet is
currently calculating or throwing error messages.
(4) Many features of a fully-blown programming language are not
relevant or even dangerous in the dictionary context
(5) There is no need for dREL to commit to a particular concrete
implementation of the CIF datastructure.  Each dREL engine is welcome
to optimise as it sees fit and convert the dREL method to one that
works with whatever the native CIF datastructure is for a given
application.
(6) These methods are canonical in that they are going into a
dictionary.  They should change over time as little as possible, and
be as easy as possible to understand and create.

What Nick et al did was to take Python, remove language features that
were not necessary and add some syntactic sugar.  The result is an
algorithmic language that elegantly expresses relationships within a
relational database with minimum clutter and in a way that is
hopefully reasonably accessible to dictionary writers, and didn't
commit CIF to a particular language implementation or CIF
implementation.

Anybody visiting my poster in Osaka would have had a chance to get up
close and personal with these issues.  I automatically translate dREL
methods into Python, inserting print statements and whatnot, and then
evaluate those Python chunks *after* making the appropriate variable
initialisations.  Execution of each method is under control of a
master program that determines which method to execute and keeps track
of loop packet construction etc.

I'll say it again: so far I've seen no sustainable argument for
sending CIF2 back to committee, or for adopting Python string handling
syntax into CIF2.